Back To Top

Japan promises to keep S. Korea up to date on nuclear accident situation

    Japan on Saturday promised to keep South Korea up to date on the situation at a quake-stricken atomic power plant, an official said, amid fears of a potential nuclear disaster in the country.

   Japanese Foreign Minister Takeaki Matsumoto briefed his South Korean counterpart, Kim Sung-hwan, on efforts to cool down nuclear reactors and fuel rods at the Fukushima No. 1 power plant during a bilateral meeting in the ancient city of Kyoto.

South Korean foreign minister Kim Sung-hwan in Tokyo on Saturday (Yonhap News)
South Korean foreign minister Kim Sung-hwan in Tokyo on Saturday (Yonhap News)


   Matsumoto was quoted as saying that the reactor No. 3 is in the most urgent situation.

   Kim asked Japan to provide South Korea with a timely update on the nuclear situation, and Matsumoto promised to do so, the South Korean official said, speaking on the customary condition of anonymity.

   Kim also reiterated that South Korea will provide Japan with full support, the official said.

   It was the first time that Kim and Matsumoto have held a face-to-face meeting since the Japanese minister took office earlier this month. Saturday's talks took place on the sidelines of an annual three-way foreign ministers' meeting between South Korea, Japan and China.

   Japan has also been struggling to bring the damaged power plant under control as radiation levels from the facility in Fukushima, some 250 kilometers northeast of Tokyo, rose following a series of explosions, fueling fears of a nuclear disaster.

   Emergency workers have struggled to cool down nuclear reactors and fuel rods at the plant.

   Other topics that Kim and Matsumoto discussed included North Korea and bilateral relations, according to the South Korean official.

   Kim briefed the Japanese minister on the status of South Korea's relations with North Korea and the food situation in the impoverished nation, said the official.

   Matsumoto told Kim that Japan has no plan for now to provide humanitarian aid to Pyongyang.

   The two ministers also discussed the issue of Japan's ongoing review of middle school textbooks amid concern that the result could hurt the warming relations between the two countries if Tokyo approves texts that lay claim to South Korea's easternmost islets of Dokdo.

   Kim asked Japan to handle the matter "carefully" so that it won't have any negative effect on relations between the two countries. Matsumoto said in response that he understands Seoul's position and that the two countries should make joint efforts to prevent the ties from deteriorating.

   At the start of the talks, Matsumoto expressed thanks for the assistance and support that South Korea has provided after a devastating earthquake and tsunami, saying that Japan considers South Korea a "true neighbor" that offers help in times of difficulty.

   "On behalf of the Japanese people, I express sincere gratitude to South Korea," he said.

   South Korea was the first country to send rescue workers to Japan after the massive 9.0 offshore quake triggered a gigantic tsunami that wreaked havoc on the coastal regions in northeastern Japan.

   More than 15,000 people are dead or missing, and the toll is expected to climb.

   Seoul dispatched a five-member team a day after the disaster and then an additional 102-member squad a couple of days later. The rescue specialists searched the worst-hit regions in collaboration with Japanese police for survivors earlier this week.

   An increasing number of ordinary South Koreans and celebrities have also expressed sympathy and offered donations voluntarily, setting aside hard feelings left over from Japan's brutal colonial rule of the Korean Peninsula from 1910-45.

(Yonhap News)



<관련기사>

日 "후쿠시마 원전 현황, 적시 정보제공"

한일 외교장관회담..정부, '독도' 교과서검정 신중대응 요청
마츠모토 "현시점서 대북지원 계획 없다"

    (교토=연합뉴스) 노효동 기자 = 일본 정부는 19일 후쿠시마(福島) 원전 방사성 물질 누출사태와 관련한 현황 정보를 적시에 우리 정부에 제공하겠다고 약속했다.

   마츠모토 다케아키(松本 剛明) 외무상은 이날 일본 교토(京都) 영빈관에서  김성 환 외교통상부 장관과 회담을 가진 자리에서 "현재 사태수습과 복구를 위해 최선을 다하고 있다"면서 이같이 밝혔다.
    마츠모토 외상은 특히 현 상황에 대해 "3호기가 가장 긴급성이 높았으나 방수활 동을 계속하고 있다"며 "5호기와 6호기는 비상용 전력이 복원됐으며 5호기의 냉각장 치가 가동중이다.1,4호기는 배선공사를 실시하고 있다"고 말했다.
    이에 앞서 김 장관은 이번 대지진과 해일 사태와 관련해 애도와 위로의 뜻을 표 하고 앞으로 피해복구와 구조지원을 위해 최대한 지원하겠다는 뜻을 밝혔다.
    김 장관은 또 이달 말로 예상되는 일본 정부의 중학교 역사교과서 검정 결과 발 표가 한일 양국관계에 악영향을 미치지 않도록 신중히 대응해줄 것을 촉구했다.
    이에 대해 마츠모토 외상은 "잘 알겠다"고 답변한 것으로 알려졌다.
    양국 외교장관은 이번 사태를 계기로 양국간 재난관리 협력을 보다 강화하고 한 .일 FTA(자유무역협정) 추진을 위해 지속적으로 협조해나가기로 했다.
    양측은 또 지난해 8월 간 나오토(菅直人) 일본 총리 담화의 후속조치 이행을 위 해 최선을 다하고 이명박 대통령의 방일문제를 계속 검토해나가기로 했다.
    양측은 이와함께 북핵 6자회담 재개와 관련, 한.미.일 3국간 공조가 중요하다는 데 인식을 같이하고 대북 인도적 지원문제에 대해서도 긴밀히 협력해나가기로 했다.

    마츠모토 외상은 "현단계에서 북한에 대해 인도주의적 지원을 할 계획이  없다"
는 입장을 분명히 했다고 외교부 당국자가 전했다.
    김 장관은 지난 14∼15일 프랑스 파리에서 개최된 G8(주요 8개국) 외무장관  회 의에서 북한 우라늄 농축 프로그램(UEP)을 규탄하는 공식 문건이 채택된 데 대해 일 본측의 역할을 평가했다.
    한편 김 장관과 양제츠(楊潔지<兼대신虎들어간簾>) 중국 외교부장은 이날 한.일 외교장관 회담에 이어 양자회동을 갖고 일본 대지진 사태와 관련해 한.중이 힘을 합 쳐 일본을 지원하는 모습을 보여줘야 한다는데 인식을 같이했다.
    양국은 또 올 상반기 중으로 김황식 총리의 방중을 추진하기로 하고 한.중간 인 적교류를 더욱 확대해나가기로 했다. 

MOST POPULAR